Why we are biddingPaisley's bid for UK City of Culture 2021 is part of a wider push to use the town's unique cultural and heritage assets to transform its future. Winning the 2021 culture title will have significant benefits:
- It will create the equivalent of 4,700 jobs over the next decade and boost the local economy by £172m, leaving a lasting legacy for all of Renfrewshire;
- It means a programme of major events and world-class culture, bringing an estimated 1.7m attendances in 2021;
- It will bring much-needed footfall and boost our plans to build a new long-lasting town centre economy with culture, heritage, events and tourism at its heart;
- Involvement in culture is proven to be good for people's health and well-being. Our 2021 year will offer culture for all, and create opportunities for everybody in Renfrewshire to access those benefits;
- Plus, it is already raising awareness of Paisley's internationally-significant story, helping to transform the town's image at home and abroad, and building a new sense of pride in Paisley.
STAR Project supports the bid and is a key partner.Paisley is an inspirational, culturally rich town full of proud people who carry a strong sense of identity and community spirit through good times and tough. This journey to bid is an exciting opportunity to showcase the whole of Paisley, the well documented challenges we face but also our stunning town, our creative history and the realisation of our collective potential.
A successful bid for City of Culture 2021 will inspire and energise all of our communities, individually and together to celebrate and continue the transformation of a great town into a world class location.
Updated: August 16, 2017